Monday 23 May 2011

Music Monday!

For those who don’t know me too well yet, I absolutely LOVE music. So be warned, when i start talking about music, it gets hard to stop!!

Music is what feelings sound like – Author Unknown
I don't like ALL of it, but not for the reasons you might think either. Some tracks just don’t click with me, and some make me want to puke quite frankly… but I still have a respect for what they are trying to achieve and that other people will get their groove on to it. I just switch it off. Quickly.
I respect a person, or a group of people, who has an idea about something and can compose lyrically and/or instrumentally their truth as to what that certain something means personally. I don’t have to agree with what they’re going on about, and sometimes I interpret their art and personalise it in a completely different way than they intended it, but that’s cool. That’s what music is for.
Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom.  If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. – Charlie Parker
(Just to let you know, Charlie Parker was a FABULOUS jazz musician in the 40’s… do yourself a favour and listen to his stuff if you want a taste of real jazz!) Music is an art. Real musicians are holistic, they write, compose and perform (or at least take part in the whole process) their work, or sometimes take a piece of existing work and modify it to fit their own experience, thoughts and wisdom.
You can tell when a musician loves what he/she is doing just from watching their body language as they play and sing, closing their eyes and rocking to the beat, their hands running over their instrument like it is a part of them, the look of sheer joy on their faces and how that joy resonates to the listener (which is ME thankyou very much!!). When a song hits you just right, the feeling you get is utter joy, so cheers to the resident muso! The song, from the words to the beat to the rhythm, speaks to the soul in ways that most other things in this world can’t. Music is the universal language.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. –  Ludwig van Beethoven
Cover bands are awesome because they take songs that they love and play them to people who love them as well, making for a choice night out, bro (pardon the Kiwi). How many times has a night out at the local progressed into some realm of awesomeness due to the house band’s weekly rendition of Livin’ on a Prayer, and Highway To Hell?!
Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. – Confucius
Thankyou Confucius, you are absolutely right. We can’t do without music. Music is written for an infinite number of reasons, and each opera, orchestral piece, instrumental, choral verse and song that’s out there means something, to someone. And that’s awesome. So I thought I’d give you a bit of a taste of what I’m into and, as I’m a bit eclectic, I think some might surprise you…
Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. – Ronald Reagan (Amen Ron!) 
  • The Beatles. Now I’m not just saying it because it’s a generic response for most to say, because I really really REALLY love The Beatles, and what their music did to the world. I love the Sgt Peppers album, and The White Album… really anything post 1967. Any band who can write about an Octopus’s Garden, living in a Yellow Submarine or being a Walrus, and pull it off, must be pretty special J
  • John Butler Trio. Wow this group is just amazing. Lyrically inspiring and musically beautiful, listening to this is such pleasure and just makes you want to chill out and bop your head to the sweet tunes. Peace mate, love your style.
  • Eric Clapton. Love love love this guy. From his early days with the Yardbirds (a blues style), Cream, and Derek and the Dominos, to his solo stuff and the infamous MTV unplugged album, I just can’t get enough of it. Always helps me chill out after a tough day. Thanks Eric! His Crossroads blues album ROCKS!
  • Powderfinger. Can’t go much further without mentioning my favourite modern band… well, former band anyway… So much talent, such down to earth boys, such a joy to see them live, and a good looking drummer too J What more can I say guys?! Your music rocks my world! Thanks to Bern, Daz, JC, Haigs, and gorgeous Cogsy!!
  • The Waifs. I’m attempting to learn some of their songs at the moment, their folk style and acoustics are a joy to play and sing.
  • Led Zeppelin. In the immortal words of Wayne Campbell: “Led Zeppelin didn’t write songs that everyone liked. They left that to the BeeGees.” Led Zep isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but they certainly are mine. Travelling Roadside Blues and Black Dog (and of course Stairway To Heaven) always get me!
  • Pink Floyd. There’s nothing better than to sit down with a good Scotch, listening to Dark Side of the Moon “turned up to 11” and solving the world’s problems.
  • Santana. Not only is he a magnificent guitarist, he endeavours to unite people from all walks of life through his music to show us that we really are all equal in the eyes of God. Much Love, Carlos.
I could go on, but I’ll save it for the next instalment of Music Monday!!
What about you? What music are you into? What makes your Soul sing out to the Heavens?! What do you think of my list? Music makes each and every day better than it already is, and I’d LOVE to know what you’re in to… J
Eat well, drink water, live life with Love, laugh a lot, smile at strangers, and God Bless
Emily xxx
Ps – I know it’s technically Tuesday today… but I kind of got sidetracked … it is Marvin Monday after all ;)

2 comments:

  1. Great list Emily. I have not long ago realised (like your other post about laughter), that music has been missing from my life post baby. I studied music right through school and used to play with an orchestra. It's not the playing I miss, it's the joy of spending alone time lost in the brilliance of various artists. Need to get my iPod up to date and enable it in my car so I can get back to it. Certainly know all about Charlie Parker. I pretty much love all styles of music (except death metal!). So great to come across your post as a reminder to get me into action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love music as well - totally uplifts me and I love your list of artists that you enjoy. I have a large variety of music that I like to listen to and some songs as you say seem to just sing straight to my heart. Great post. N x

    ReplyDelete