Tuesday 24 May 2011

Solving a Mystery, Scooby Doo Style!

I’ve solved probably one of the biggest mysteries in the universe!

Well, in my universe anyway…

My bubble…

Well, it’s been a mystery to me for a long time now… probably the last 6 years or so… how long have I been married again…?!
It’s the mystery that makes this mother-of-three, domestic-goddess-extraordinaire struggle with the mundane day-to-day tasks and jobs that the pre-wed, pre-baby me accomplished quickly and efficiently with time left over, but ultimately wasted, to realise all my goals and dreams that I only figured out I had after I became the mother-of-three domestic-goddess-extraordinaire!!!
Can you see why I’m confused?!?!?
Can you see why my poor Hubby’s ears start burning even before I say “gee, I really have to talk tonight…”? I can just imagine saying that to him in super-slow-mo watching his eyes gawping at me, shaking his head and screaming NOOOOOOO and then his head blowing up as soon as I finish “… talk tonight…?”
What a mess.
So here I am, about to pillage your eyes with my text, and your ears too if you’re brave enough to read it aloud, because this post just might not be able to contain itself in silence. It’s just that remarkable. Honest. 
Now, back to that revelation… solving the mystery.
ZOIKS! Scoob, I think we’re out of Scooby Snacks!

I loved watching Scooby Doo, and to be honest, it still cracks me up. I love it that Scooby is a big chicken until he has a Scooby snack that Shaggy pulls out of somewhere just in time before the ghost, who is really Old Man Withers, the owner of the Old Haunted Amusement Park who would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling kids, catches them *draws breath* and that the Scooby Snack is like an illicit substance giving Scooby the impression that he can accomplish anything, and then he gets the giggles. It’s comedy gold.
I decided I needed my own Scooby Snacks. Less like the dog food type, and more like the metaphorical type that makes me feel like I can do and accomplish anything. It would also help if it were legal.
Caffeine isn’t enough.
Alcohol wont solve my pre-5pm issues (although if it’s a post-3pm weekday issue, I sometimes make a concession!), is costly, and makes me gassy.
I can’t afford the type of food I want to get addicted to.
Things like prayer, meditation, journaling and yoga are all great when you have your own quiet space. NEXT!
It needs to be something that I can have or do anytime, and anywhere. That when the crappy stupid rubbish blah blah sets in, I can smash it for six (cricket…. Anyone?!).
Then it hit me, like a wine glass hits the tiled floor while your kid is climbing onto your lap. Why is Scooby Doo so effing funny?! It’s that laugh. It’s Scooby’s laugh!
You can get a snout-full here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_psRb5AtpI
IT’S LAUGHING!!!!!!
When was the last time you get a stitch from laughing so hard? When did you last crack up at one of your kids farting instead of telling them it was inappropriate? When was the last time you watched a politically incorrect movie and cried with tears of hilarity? What about Weird Al’s version of Lola, entitled Yoda (cracks me up… Yo-yo-yo-yo-yooooodaaaaa!)?
This is my problem: I no longer do things without inhibition. What will others think? What impact will this have on others? What else do I have to get done today? I don’t have time. How embarrassing. I’m tired/exhausted/unhappy/unmotivated/sad/overwhelmed…  I can virtually pick one for each day of the week in order for me to NOT be spontaneous.
This is my solution: I picked up my trusty journal, and wrote ten things that crack me up:
1) Watching Monty Python movies. “He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”, or “It’s just a flesh wound!”, or “I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok…”. Need I say more?!
2) Reading funny blogs. There are some very funny people out there, and they always bring a smile to my face! I love WoogsWorld, and Mad Cow. I cramp up every time I read these girls… with giggles of course, not the digestive kind…
3) My awesome interpretive dance routines. Yep, I make up great dances to my favourite songs, and the kids try and copy. These things are so revolutionary that they could burn your eyes out by just watching, some just aren’t ready for it.
4) Reading THE BOOK that my sister, Claire, and I wrote while growing up, that has all of our weird sayings and quotes and insults that we made up when we thought we were AWESOME!!!! Now, we know we are and it’s so funny to read our primitive humour compared to how much funnier we are now.
5) Tickling my husband (and boy oh boy will he hate me for putting this one in), because he’s as ticklish as a schoolgirl. His uncontrollable giggle is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard and it always ALWAYS makes me laugh just as hard!
6) Talking CRAP!! Random movie lines like “Bueller, Bueller, Bueller? Fry?”, “I like my coffee the way I like my men. Black.”, and “Who is he? He’s an asshole sir. I know that, what’s his name?! That is his name sir, asshole, Major Asshole.” . I know the whole opening radio sequence from Good Morning Vietnam, complete with voices. Disney movie songs and quotes. Smack talk with the hubby, talking like Fat Bastard, Harold and Toulouse from Moulin Rouge, the Postman Pat song… whatever breaks the boredom usually ends up in some sort of craptacluar laugh-fest.
7) Playing/dancing/cooking/being/trampolining with the kids, without any boundaries. (Sorry for the cliché) Of course, they still can’t start fighting, but when you’re playing with them on their terms some of the things they do and say are side-splitting, funniest-home-video $50,000 sort of stuff!
8) Watching the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, you know the one with Colin Firth as Mr Darcy… the only REAL Darcy! A perfect screen adaptation to a perfect book, their antics always get me.


9) The genius writings of Mr Douglas Adams. Otherwise known as the man who created Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, you’ll be hard pressed to find a funnier book written with such creativity and talent. GOLD. I’ve read it way too many times to remember, and I still smile the whole time!
10) My newest laugh – attempting Zumba. Yep, those infomercials bringing the Zumba craze into your very own lounge room has made a home in mine too. And, if only for the calories I burn from laughing so hard, I have a great time doing it too. I look like I’ve got a squirrel in my pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axe9BvkfyLU ) but it’s worth it!!

Now, that list took me quite a while to write. Had I really become that detached from the old me, the fun-loving easy-going old me? Had I really left that part of me behind on my journey? Why couldn’t I have left my anxiety, grumpiness, disorganisation or negativity behind instead?
Maybe I’ll just leave them behind now. All of them. Lighten the load, take the funnies and leave the boring stuff behind...
“Rood Ron, Raggy”. Thanks Scooby!

I’d love to challenge you to your own top ten crack-me-up list. How long does it take you to write? What makes you stitch up in laughter? Then…
go and do it!!

Peace.

Eat well, drink water, live life with Love, laugh a lot, smile at strangers, and God Bless
Emily xxx

1 comment:

  1. Exactly what has been missing from my life lately!

    Tell you a secret. You know what really sets me off, laughing until I am crying? Top Gear! I don't even laugh to the funniest comedies around but the guys on Top Gear just crack me up!

    Love the post, once again.

    ReplyDelete